slideshow


Created with flickr slideshow.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Me? A webmaster? Seriously?

In the middle of May, Emilie, the director of the Esther Vexler Yoga School asked me if I could take over the website. Um...I love the internet and I managed the yahoo site for the school year, but that in no way makes me anywhere close to "webmaster material."

Brad is a software engineer (degree in computer science), so he knows a bit about making websites, but he's not very artsy fartsy. I like to make things pretty and perfect (my job is to make published books look pretty with perfect grammar), but I don't know much about making websites, I'm just really good at using them. Brad makes websites and software or whatever for scientists who study stuff in space. It's not pretty, but it's very functional.

Anyway, I agreed to try my best, but warned her that I couldn't promise that I'd be able to get anything halfway decent up there. It was a very critical time to get the website back up and running (the last person to run it got too busy and abandoned the effort). The Texas Workforce Commission had the school under a close eye as we applied for exemption from all this drama they're causing with yoga teacher trainings, and it's time to recruit for next year's class.

Thanks to wix.com, which makes website design "easy" and Brad for being sweet, patient, and smart. I got a website up within a day and we got our exemption. Lately I've been tinkering with the site every day trying to see what new features I can add and how I can make it prettier and more useful. All this and I've only stressed out to the point where Brad pushed me away from the computer twice. :P

In the end, I'm very proud that my school has a pretty site, and more proud that I made it happen. My only concern about it is that it's all done in flash (the only way to make a pretty functional site without much real code), so it's not mobile friendly. Bummer. I'm thinking of making a simple mobile site that's the width of an iPhone screen and scrolls down the with essential information someone would look for, like when class is and what workshops are coming up.

www.evyogaschool.com

No comments:

Post a Comment