slideshow


Created with flickr slideshow.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On Slippery Yoga Mats

Slipping during yoga was a problem for me for a long time and I threw a lot of money around trying to solve this. Now a lot of my students are having the same problem. I just wrote this out as an email to a student, but I decided to put it here to share it with both my readers. ;)

Jade Yoga mats are the best I've found. They come in 2 different thicknesses (the standard mat is 1/4 inch, so even their thin one is thicker than regular mats)

3/16 inch and 5/16 inch

I have the 3/16 inch one (2 actually) and I love it, but I wish I had the 5/16 inch one. In Ashtanga 3/16 is fine, but in Anusara, you do a lot of weird stuff with your knee digging into the floor and more padding would be nice.

(You're never supposed to put your weight on your knee cap, always in front of your knee, it hurts like hell right on your knee cap. DON'T DO THAT! I think I'm going to rebel every time I'm asked to dig my knee into the mat, there has to be a better way to stretch my quads.)

There's also yoga towels that you can put over your mat. I've tried those and they're not bad.

Yogitoes is good.

OMG they have a Groovy Yogitoes towel! I don't need it. I won't buy it. I don't need it. I won't buy it. I don't need it. I won't buy it. I don't need it. I won't buy it.

The Manduka towel is also alright.

Don't buy the Manduka black mat! It's supposedly top of the line awesome. I have one, and it's like a freaking slip 'n' slide. I can barely even attempt yoga on it without a towel. Biggest waste of money ever.

5 comments:

  1. I have a different experience...my Jade travel mat wore out within a couple of months, and my Manduka Black is my mainstay. It's one of the few pieces of equipment I can safely say has made a difference in my practice...very solid and stable. Maybe we are talking about different mats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and my Manduka towel caught a permanent stink from my sweat and is not optimal any more...sadly. I think I sweat too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you soak it in baking soda + detergent? I have a hard time giving up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe even throw in some essential oils: mint, lavender...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try that...sounds like it might work.

    ReplyDelete